A lot of us might have heard this before: We can improve our back pain by eating better and losing weight . We know that it is not always possible for us to eat healthy, but remember that short-term gains always entail ong-term consequences.
What to eat to relieve pain
All of us will face chronic back pain at some point of our lives, due to a disease, injury or the old-fashioned wear and tear. But just by simply changing our diet, we can effectively manage and even eradicate back pain. Here’s how food we eat affect the pain:
- Consistently making wrong food choices speed up the inflammatory disease process
- Many studies have shown that components of foods or beverages may have anti-inflammatory effects. Dark green vegetables provide nutrients that help fight inflammation and sweep up cancer-causing free radicals. Orange/yellow vegetables like carrots, squash, pumpkin, peppers, and pineapple are high in antioxidants, Vitamin E and C, that help protect healthy tissue around the area of inflammation. Pineapple has beautiful natural enzymes that help break down the fibrin capsule that forms around any acute injury.
Here are simple steps you can take so you can promote healing inside out:
- Avoid fat – This includes Butter, corn, red meat and simple carbs high in sugar/low in fiber.
- Aim to eat 2-3 servings of fruits and vegetables every meal – You can select from strawberries, blueberries, cherries, pineapple and oranges/ kale, broccoli, spinach, collards carrots, and pumpkin.
- Use spices – Why not add turmeric and ginger to your meals?
- Include fish – Choose fatty fish like salmon, mackerel, tuna, or sardines
There are a lot of healthier choices that can help heal your body from the inside out. Make sure to take the first step now and start on the road to recovery today.